Sunday, July 26, 2009

Preparations

I'm leaving in 2 months, minus 3 days.

So, between then and now I have to:

1. Get my visa. Erica and I are going to Atlanta on August 17.

2. Contact my contact person. I am putting this off because I have to contact her in French. Yes, I majored in French. Yes, I have studied the language for more years than I would like to admit. But, for some reason, the prospect of emailing someone that I do not know is terrifying. When you speak to someone, to their face, you can express a lot more through facial expression, gestures, or you can just smile when you don't know what's going on. But in an email, the person might misunderstand my question and reply in a way that doesn't make sense, and then it's back and forth, back and forth.

3. Figure out what I'm packing, in particular, HOW I'm packing. I don't want to run around Charles de Gaulle with four huge, heavy bags, attempt to catch a train, then, be unable to actually board the train due to aforementioned bags. I also do not want to freeze in December because I didn't pack my boots and winter coat.

4. Attempt to find housing, not an easy task as the French are not as "online" as Americans. The chances of finding a legit apartment or foyer is pretty slim.

A foyer - pronounced like the entryway to houses (foy-yay) - is something like a dormitory for anyone over 18, but it is not necessarily attached to a university. There are typically single rooms, and there can be private or community baths and a community kitchen. This can be a good idea for someone with no furniture, like me.

Here is something else really interesting about living in France: As a teaching assistant making a bit less than €1000/month, I will be applicable for government housing aid. The amount seems to be around €160/month, which could be a huge help. Although I don't get anything until I have an address.

5. Mentally prepare. This is a combination of "Ahhhhhhhh! I'm leaving the country for 9+ months" and "Yeeeeeeaaaaaaa! I'm leaving the country for 9+ months!"

Now, onto contacting this person, in the best French possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment