Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Il y a longtemps que je t'aime... And other stuff (Un mélange*)

Okay, departure is two weeks from today. Most things are in order. (Kind of) I have plane ticket, passport, visa, a place to stay, and a person to meet me at the train station in Angers. But I don't have a train ticket from Paris to Angers. Hopefully, this will resolve itself.
Packing is number one on my to-do list. So is emailing Mme. Morange, the girl at the foyer, etc etc.
The other thing is:
I'm also applying for grad school. I have to meet with professors before I leave to ensure good recommendation letters. I might have a panic attack about this stuff.
The list of schools I am applying to changes on a daily basis.

Enough of the boring stuff!
I watched the movie Il y a longtemps que je t'aime. (I've loved you so long)
Watch this movie. In short, Kristen Scott- Thomas plays a French woman who has been released from jail, after 15 years. She stays with her sister (Elsa Zylberstein) as she adjusts to living in the real world. Both women perform beautifully, and the film won some nine awards.
Stick with the movie until the end; it's just great.

When I was younger, my dad had a job in which he travelled frequently. He would often go to India and Algeria. There are many things I could say about these trips, and they will probably pop up again in my monologues. But, for now, I remember him telling me that his Indian friends learned to speak English by watching American/British (I guess it was probably more British than American) television.
Obviously, language classes, reading, and writing contribute markedly to one's education, but the importance of hearing someone speak, conversationally, is crucial to gaining fluency.
Watching the movie reminded me how far I am achieving any semblance of fluency. Sure, I can understand a lot of French. And sure, I can conjugate a verb or two. But the overwhelming prospect of conducting every social transaction in French is weighing down on me. It will be sudden and irrevocable submersion.


These are the things on my mind.




*mélange = mixture

No comments:

Post a Comment