Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Eeek!

There is just something great about a country that takes two hour lunch breaks everywhere, everyday. Everyone sits around at a cafe or stands around with a baguette sandwich, and they talk. It's just what you do.
There is also something great about a country in which a pregnant woman, who despite being pregnant looks like a supermodel, would wear a full unitard with a cardigan, just out and about.

France is very laissez faire. Not economically, mind you, there seems to be plent of regulations, but socially it is a free for all. Kind of.

That doesn't really do it justice either. It's just all about sitting around and talking for a 3 hour dinner that begins around 8, and having time to go home and cook yourself a lunch, or buying a sandwich and really taking the time to enjoy it in the park.

I was walking home this evening, and I just really liked France. I don't know if I like my job or if I have any really new best friends for life, but I really like the idea of taking time. It is important here to be relaxed. For instance, I still haven't paid for the place I'm staying. No one seems to care; I'm worried I'll come back to find my stuff in the street. But I don't think it'll happen. They seem to trust I'll get around to it, and I will.

Angers is really beautiful, and we've had what the British girls call "holiday weather" since I've arrived. Even though I'm stressed and tired and a little homesick for familiar things; I have occasional bouts of loving being here. This must be a good thing.

Today, I talked to the other foyer; they have a room open. I have until Friday to decide. Let's just say: private bathroom and nice beds. Plus, they have meals included.

So after an afternoon of walking and my visit with the other foyer, I had dinner with some other girls at a restaurant. I had a small glass of wine, and we had a nice chat. Mostly about being away from boyfriend and crying. It was good.

Afterward was my walk home where I decided how much I love France. It's cool, but not too cool. Various people sat at outdoor cafes, drink or coffee in hand. When two guys sitting at an outdoor café were approached for a cigarette, they didn't hesitate, and everyone involved wished each other a bon soirée.

I reached my foyer and began getting things together for the trek to the shower when I saw this:


Papers will be signed tomorrow.
Good night, all!

No comments:

Post a Comment