Saturday, October 24, 2009

Trains, trains, and trains

Toussaint is a fabulous holiday in France that recognizes all the saints by giving all of the students a week and a half off from school.

Friday was a long day at work. The kids knew that they were about to have a break, so I planned ahead. We reviewed colors by coloring pumpkins! They do not really have Halloween, so we talked a little about that and then we colored! There's something fabulous about working with an age group where it's totally acceptable to have a lesson centered on coloring. I, however, still cannot pronounce the French word for pumpkin, une citrouille. (It's something like sit-royAH, kind of. The teachers all laughed when I pronounced it)

I almost brought candy, but I forgot, and in the end, it was for the best. They were already psycho-hyped for the holidays.

Anyway, I'm going to be doing some traveling, which is really exciting. There's a kind of restlessness that only a train ride can cure. A few other assistants and I are going to Bordeaux and Aix-en-Provence. We have a hostel/hotel in Bordeaux, and Fabiola's friend who lives there is going to take us around. Already on the itinerary: a ballet at the Grand Théâtre, and an all day wine tour! In Aix-en-Provence, our friend Katie has a friend who we are going to stay with. I'm not sure yet what we'll do there.

I'll update after I return; I'm not bringing my computer, which is kind of a huge deal for me. I'm totally dependant on it.
Bon vacances, tout le monde!

Oh! One more thing, just another funny snippet of France: On Wednesday, my beloved busdrivers striked. It didn't affect me because I wasn't working, and I wasn't in a rush, so I walked everywhere.
But this is how the strike works: everyone knew ahead of time; it was posted on all the buses.
It was only from 11:30 to 1:00, which is also lunchtime! After 1:00, the buses resumed their schedules as normal. Was it effective? No idea, I don't even know what they were demanding.
Was it French? In every possible way.

No comments:

Post a Comment